Monday, March 23, 2015

menu plan march iv

Birthday weekend was a resounding success.  The weather on Saturday was perfect.  We enjoyed the day outside as much as we could - walking, eating, walking, playing, walking.  I bought a record player.  That was the one purchase I wanted to make for myself this birthday.  So - if anyone has their vinyl collection up for grabs, I'll take it!

I started with the classics:


We are still eating our way through Nashville; Amanda will be here until Tuesday.  I'm so excited about tonight!  We are taking a break from our regular Family Dinner with friends (many of them are out of town as they are teachers or school administrators and this is Spring Break).  Instead, Amanda and I will be hitting Husk.  This is a celebrated new-ish restaurant in Nashville that I've been wanting to try for years.  Finally, I have the proper occasion.  :)

Okay - on to the food!

Preamble
We literally always have one of three things for breakfast if we are at home.

1)  -- scrambled eggs from our Mennonite hens
     -- homemade sourdough toast/English muffins/biscuits
     -- raw butter we have been making from our Mennonite cow cream
     -- local raw honey or homemade preserves
     -- seasonal fruit from our CSA or mandarins (in the winter)

2) -- pancakes
    -- raw butter
    -- real maple syrup
    -- seasonal fruit

3)  --soaked oatmeal with raisins, shredded coconut, coconut cream, honey
     --seasonal fruit or preserves

Vicki usually requests #2.  If we have time, I'm happy to oblige.  If I do any sourdough baking, though, we will use the excess starter to have sourdough pancakes.

Since it is so monotonous, I'm not going to put breakfast on the menu plan.

For drinks, we always have raw milk on hand.  We also drink Berkey filtered water, kombucha, or homemade soda from our ginger bug.  I would love to start messing with water kefir soon.

Finally, I try to make one dessert-ish item that we nibble on all week for snacks and desserts.  It's getting warm enough for popsicles finally!  I'm thinking basil and lime this week.

Sunday
-- lunch:  Fish Fry fundraiser at church!  Everything fried.  So good, so bad.  Fish, hush puppies, tater tots, white beans, etc.
-- supper:  Husk.  (Update:  it was good.  Not amazing.  I preferred the birthday dinner we had at Lockeland Table the night before.)

Monday
-- lunch:  meeting the BFF somewhere for lunch where we can sit outside and soak up the sun!
-- supper:  I think we will spatchcock and grill a chicken.  And do some roasted veggies like sweet potatoes, carrots, and turnips.

Tuesday
-- lunch:  grilled chicken and roasted veggie leftovers
-- supper:  bacon cheeseburgers, sourdough buns, oven-roasted sweet potato fries, sauerkraut and pickles

Wednesday
-- lunch:  turnip greens with bacon ends, cornbread
-- supper:  I jotted down a new Shrimp Fra Diavolo recipe while watching America's Test Kitchen on Saturday.  I think I'm gonna try it out!  If I get inspired, I might even make my own linguine.  We will have something green with this, like roasted broccoli.

Thursday
-- lunch:  leftover greens and cornbread
-- supper:  Breakfast for Dinner!  Biscuits and gravy.  Fruit.

Friday
-- lunch:  I'm going to be at a day-long training at our Conference office, and I'm just hoping there will be lunch involved.
-- supper:  I want to try to re-create this pizza we had at Lockeland Table.  It was ricotta, butternut squash (I will use pumpkin), kale, red onion, grana padano (I will sub Parmesan), and chili oil.  So freaking good.

Saturday
-- lunch:  whatever leftover roasted veggies + chicken stock soup, crackers, ricotta-herb dip
-- supper:  chicken enchiladas (homemade enchilada sauce, leftover chicken, grated cheese, black beans, corn - all rolled up together and baked under more enchilada sauce and cheese), Spanish rice, chili-spiced roasted pumpkin

What's on your menu this week?

[This post submitted to Menu Plan Monday 3/23/15.]




No comments: