Tuesday, March 17, 2015

menu plan march iii

Birthday week!  Birthday week!!

Guys.  This week, I will be . . . THIRTY.  Thirty years.  I remarked to my dear Memaw last night that if the next thirty years held as much heartache as the first thirty, I didn't know if I could stand it.  But then again, if they have half as much joy as the first thirty, then it will all be worth it.

All I wanted for my birthday this year was for my very best friend to visit.  She will be here all weekend, and we have some killer birthday meals planned.


This was my birthday dinner last year - surrounded by nine of my closest friends.  Excited for a repeat this year!

Preamble
We literally always have one of three things for breakfast if we are at home.

1)  -- scrambled eggs from our Mennonite hens
     -- homemade sourdough toast/English muffins/biscuits
     -- raw butter we have been making from our Mennonite cow cream
     -- local raw honey or homemade preserves
     -- seasonal fruit from our CSA or mandarins (in the winter)

2) -- pancakes
    -- raw butter
    -- real maple syrup
    -- seasonal fruit

3)  --soaked oatmeal with raisins, shredded coconut, coconut cream, honey
     --seasonal fruit or preserves

Vicki usually requests #2.  If we have time, I'm happy to oblige.  If I do any sourdough baking, though, we will use the excess starter to have sourdough pancakes.

Since it is so monotonous, I'm not going to put breakfast on the menu plan.

For drinks, we always have raw milk on hand.  We also drink Berkey filtered water, kombucha, or homemade soda from our ginger bug.  I would love to start messing with water kefir soon.

Finally, I try to make one dessert-ish item that we nibble on all week for snacks and desserts.  This week I made pumpkin muffins.  The recipe is pretty good, but I think all the spices need doubled.

Sunday
-- lunch:  we had chicken and rice, roasted broccoli, and radishes with butter and salt
-- supper:  it was my friend Emily's birthday choices (I know, I know - confusing - two Emily's, birthdays both in March).  She wanted bruschetta, fettucine alfredo with chicken, roasted brussels sprouts, and apple cobbler.  I made the fettucine.  I bought a pasta roller and tried my hand at making pasta from scratch.  Total disaster.  I will have to try again!!  But I used this recipe for the alfredo.  It was perfect.

Monday
-- lunch:  leftover chicken & fettucine alfredo, roasted broccoli
-- supper:  couscous and chickpeas (subbed turnip greens for spinach), baked sweet potatoes

Tuesday
-- lunch:  out with my lady friend colleagues!  Noshville.
-- supper:  St. Patty's!  Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes.

Wednesday
-- lunch:  leftover corned beef and vegetables, Irish soda bread
-- supper:  shrimp fried rice, soy-sesame turnip greens

Thursday
-- lunch:  leftover fried rice and greens
-- supper:  pork carnitas tacos with pickled cabbage, homemade salsa, corn tortillas, sour cream, avocado

Friday
-- lunch:  out with the Covenant Group!  Mexican.
-- supper:  Jeff is taking me and Amanda out for a birthday surprise dinner!?  No idea what that entails.

Saturday
-- lunch:  Amanda will be with us, so we will probably just roam the neighborhood until we find something good that will also be kosher with two little kids.  :)
-- supper:  my actual birthday supper at Lockeland Table.  Favorite special-occasion restaurant that is just a couple of blocks from my house.  (Same place as picture above from last year!)

[This post submitted to Menu Plan Monday 3/16/15 and Fat Tuesday 3/17/15.]



No comments: