Thursday, December 27, 2012

road tripping

We are about to embark on back-to-back roadtrips - one to Arkansas to officiate my sister-in-law's brother's wedding (wrap your mind around that one for a second), and the other to Illinois to see my sister and her family, celebrate my niece's 2nd birthday, and do Christmas with my folks.

I'm more that a little nervous about how our young screecher will do with so much time in the car.  I can't say I blame her - if I was immobilized by a five-point harness for 10 hours at a time, I'd be kind of pissed too.

One of the things this pregnancy has been showing me very starkly is that I need to make my own food.  If I eat a hint of restaurant food, or anything processed, I feel awful.  My digestion is bad, I bloat up, and I retain water.  Like, immediately.  I can't really explain the difference scientifically, but my body somehow knows the difference between the salt I use at home and the salt used in mass-manufactured food.  And it doesn't like the latter.  At all.

The holidays have been a little bit difficult, as we have a lot of family gatherings and special meals where sodium seems to have its own category on the menu.  I also love salty snacks and dishes, so it's not like I'm staying away.  But I decided that for these trips, I was going to pack as much as I possibly could and bring with us.  That way, I could at least minimize the eating out on the road and at the non-family meals.

Here it is!



Clockwise from top, in a spiraling motion: raw milk, homemade yogurtcandied almonds, homemade crackers, homemade granola, home-baked bread, some ham and chicken salad for sandwiches on the road, homemade fruit snacks (this recipe is amazing!), cheese, fruit, carrots & celery, and yogurt dip.

In a way, I'm glad that my body has been giving me such clear signs about what I need to be eating, and what I need to be avoiding.  I truly don't even want to eat out much anymore.  I know that I will feel so much better if I just stick to my plan, and that's what I intend to do!

No comments: