Tuesday, November 20, 2012

16 weeks

Not much to report.  Visit with midwife was good today.  Heartbeat was very strong.  She said, in fact, that it was unusual at this point for her to hear the "galloping" already (rather than just a thump-thump, thump-thump) - this signals that the heart chambers are well-formed and pumping correctly.

Blood pressure was up a bit again.  120/90.  I found my chart from my pregnancy with Vicki, and my blood pressure at sixteen weeks with her was 100/64.  So, sort of worrisome.  The midwife mentioned that her cuff was wearing out and that she needed a new one - that might be causing a mis-reading.  Seemed totally unconcerned, said I looked good, my urine sample was clean, and I'm not retaining any fluid.  So - I'm not worrying if she's not.  My sister has always dealt with low blood pressure, and with pregnancy sometimes hers got down in the 80s/60s!  How I wish I had that problem . . .

I am finally able to stomach a lot of cooking again, and now that the stove and oven are fixed (!!!!!), breakfast is on.  Have been having two eggs on a tortilla with cheese, avocado and salsa.  Yum.  Now I want another one of those.

After listening to this fantastic podcast featuring Lisa Marasco (author of The Breastfeeding Mother's Guide to Making More Milk) on how to support healthy breastfeeding in subsequent pregnancies after you've had difficulty with the first baby, I've decided to start taking alfalfa in addition to my prenatal and B-50 complex, as well as drinking Natural Calm on occasion and taking a sip of Floradix every now and again.  When I mentioned it to my midwife, she was enthused.  Alfalfa not only supports healthy breast development during pregnancy, she said it contains every mineral that a pregnant woman needs.  I'm considering stopping the prenatal because my diet has improved so much (covering vitamins A, C, E and Zinc), I'm basically doubling up on the B-vitamins, and I get iron from the Floradix (although I have never been anemic).

Now that your eyes are glazed over from me talking about my supplements . . . photos!

This dress is a total bump-creator, even when not pregnant, so I'm not quite that house-like yet.

No comments: