Wednesday, November 7, 2012

14w3d

Oh, that fun stage of pregnancy where you just look/feel fat.  No discernable "bump."  Just a thick middle.  Not big enough for maternity wear.  Regular pants are bad.  I need to grab one of those Bella Bands next time I'm at Target.

 

The big development this week:  movement!  Can you believe I felt the tiny thing move!?  I hardly could either.  With Vicki, I wasn't sure what I was feeling until it became unmistakeable at nineteen weeks.  This time, I felt that little fluttery tumble so much earlier.  It helps to know what you are looking for.  It's such a funny sensation.  Jeff feels left out and sad because he'll never know what it feels like.

I'm really cherishing the little things right now.  For example, my feet are a perfectly normal size and I can see each metatarsal moving when I flex them.  I'm sure they will swell right up before I even know it.



I remember the day Jeff and I sat together on the couch, four or five days after Vicki was born, telling stories about her birth like we'd seen combat together.  He looked down at my feet propped up on the coffee table and said, "I think I'm seeing parts of your feet I haven't seen in months!"

I'm thinking of Advent, of course, as we church people frantically dive into one of our busiest seasons.  One of the readings for Christmas Day tells Jesus' full birth story (the best one is in Luke).  It tells of all the grand happenings, the census, the traveling, the birth.  And then one little line toward the end:  "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart." 

Did she treasure the feeling of her baby tumbling and kicking inside her?  The birth story of her first child?  There is so much to ponder in your heart in all of this.  I know how she felt.

No comments: