Tuesday, April 16, 2013

labor foods

As we approached our 36-week home visit, our midwives gave me a list of items to have ready before the birth.  They wanted them all gathered in one place.  Some of them make perfect sense:  old towels, trash bags, plastic sheeting, ibuprofen.  Some of them left me scratching my head a bit:  apricot nectar, three baby hats, bendable straws . . . ?

Then there was the food list.  This was really kind of fun for me.  In addition to the aforementioned apricot nectar, I am supposed to have prune juice, electrolyte drink, protein snacks, carb snacks, and food for midwives and support people (especially coffee!).

I got the juices, no problem.

For protein snacks, I decided to have on hand:
-cheese
-boiled eggs
-homemade fruit snacks (lots of gelatin)


For carb snacks:
-assorted fruit
-homemade crackers


These are both carb and protein snacks:
-smoothie popsicles (yogurt + fruit)
-granola (oats + nuts)


For the support folks:
-coffee!
-oatmeal raisin cookies:  I made up a big batch of dough and froze half of it.  I kept the other half rolled in wax paper in the fridge.  I've baked up a few of them, and will just have them ready!  (I don't have a special recipe - I just use the one on the container of oats.)


And for the electrolyte drink, I found a few different recipes online to make your own.  They all involve these basic ingredients, in different proportions:  salt, water, honey, citrus.  Here's my recipe:

Electrolyte Drink
2 T raw honey
1/2 t sea salt
juice of one lemon
warm water


Mix first three ingredients in a quart-size mason jar.  Fill with warm enough water to dissolve the honey and salt.  Put the lid on and shake well.  Be sure to leave some headspace if freezing - it will expand.  Pop it in the fridge or freezer to sip as needed.

Hopefully I will just remember to pull it from the freezer when the time comes!

This drink would be really good to make up and have on hand for when your family gets a stomach virus, or if you are a big-time exerciser in the summer and need to replace lost fluids quickly.

Watch - when labor actually starts, I won't be hungry at all . . . oh well - these are still great snacks just to have around!

[This post is part of Fight Back Friday 12/20/13.]

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this. You experience your pregnancy in such a beautiful way. With reverence. I hope I can be a pregnant lady like you and not a neurotic hypochondriac. I think I can!

Emily said...

Update from three months after the baby finally came! My birth was so fast I didn't want anything. I tried to drink the electrolyte drink while laboring but only had a few sips. However, it was all amazing to have around for the days after birth! Snacks with no prep necessary.

•´.¸¸.•¨¯`♥.Erin.♥´¯¨•.¸¸.´• said...

Love this! My midwife team also said to think about food. I think they said eat each hour during labor - to help fuel my body for its biggest marathon. Although, during the fast and intense labor of my son anything I ate came back up. O.o LOL!