Tuesday, February 26, 2013

frozen s'mores

This is an old favorite recipe that I've been making for about six or seven years now.  (I ripped if off of adapted it from Real Simple, which I used to love but have discovered is neither real nor simple.)  I had kind of forgotten about it, but it was my turn to bring dessert in the family dinner rotation, and this is a good one to make ahead!  All the work is done beforehand, and then you just freeze until you're ready to serve.  I would caution against leaving the prepared sandwiches, with the graham crackers, in the freezer for too long (like over 6 or 8 hours) - because the crackers will lose their crunch.

I didn't make my own marshmallows this time (although you certainly can).  I tried to make my own graham crackers, but they didn't turn out well for this application - too thick.  I will say that my husband loves them as a snack on their own, though.  They turned out almost more like biscotti - great with coffee.  Look for that recipe to come your way soon.

Frozen S'mores
3/4 C whole milk
24 regular-size (not mini) marshmallows
10 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used chips because they are cheaper)
1 1/2 C heavy cream
24 graham crackers (or 48 square graham cracker halves)

Graham crackers not pictured because I was in the middle of unsuccessfully trying to make them.
Line a 9x13 pan with aluminum foil that overhangs on the short edges by an inch or two to make a "handle."


In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the milk and marshmallows.  Stir until the marshmallows are melted and it is blended thoroughly.


Remove from heat and mix in the chocolate until it is totally melted.  Place mixture in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, whip the heavy cream in a cold bowl with an electric mixer or a whisk, until it forms stiff peaks and looks like . . . well . . . whipped cream.

Fold the whipped cream into the cooled chocolate mixture, a spoonful at a time, being careful not to deflate all the cream.  Fold until it is blended and no traces of white remain.

Getting there . . . 
(By the way, if you want to stop here and just serve this for dessert, this makes a great fake-out chocolate mousse.)

Pour the mixture into the prepared 9x13 dish and freeze, covered, until ready to make sandwiches.  (Can be done the night before.)


When ready to make sandwiches, break whole graham crackers in half so you have 48 square crackers.  Remove the chocolate mixture from the pan using your "handles" and cut into 24 squares.  Place one chocolate square between two crackers, and serve!  You can freeze the prepared sandwiches for a few hours.  Be sure to eat fast - they will melt quickly!

Voila!  Excuse my husband's scary hand.

No comments: