Wednesday, January 16, 2013

blueberry froyo

The explosion of frozen yogurt on our American treat scene has been epic.  From Pinkberry to Tasti-D, we seem to have collectively flipped for tart + sweet + flavors.

I like fruit flavors, or just plain tart yogurt.  I've been making our own yogurt from the lovely raw milk we get from our Amish farmer Eric.  I've toyed with the idea of making some frozen yogurt from that home-cultured yogurt, and it turned out to be so much easier than I could have predicted!  Three ingredients!  The homemade yogurt makes it extra-special, but I certainly don't think it's a requirement for the recipe.

Warning:  this recipe does use refined sugar.  I haven't experimented with honey or raw sugar yet.  So, it's definitely a treat!

Blueberry Frozen Yogurt
3 C full-fat plain yogurt
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C blueberry preserves (We got this jar as a gift from our amazing friends Steph and Julianne!  Home-canned!  Also - I think you could probably use whatever flavor you fancy, but I haven't tried any others.)



Whisk all ingredients together thoroughly.  




(My assistant had to give it a taste.)

Pour into ice cream maker and follow instructions.  It will be a kind of soft-serv consistency when it's done.  Pack into a container and harden in the freezer!


No comments: