Saturday, April 21, 2012

applemint mojito

The co-ed literary fraternity at my college (I feel so ridiculous even writing those phrases) had a fun traditional fundraiser every spring called Hot Jazz.  When I was but a lowly freshman first-year, many of the older students who lived in my suite were connected with the fraternity.  I didn't receive an invitation to Hot Jazz that year, but some of the older gals invited me to help them get ready.  (Why I ever agreed to do this, I'm not sure.  I'm the queen of not getting dressed up or decked out to go out.) 

Several of the girls there had just returned from a semester abroad in Brazil.  There, they had become very good friends with a concoction called the caipirinha.  To make this drink, you use a big stout wooden stick called a muddler to mash a bunch of limes up before mixing them with liquor.  My main job at the getting-ready-preparty was to muddle up these drinks for them.  Now that I reflect on this experience, I feel like they should have at least tipped me!

Our CSA delivered us several stalks of applemint today.  It tastes like a mild variety of mint, without the burning pungency of spearmint, but with the same scent.  I sniffed it and immediately thought "mojitos." Like the caipirinha, this Cuban drink uses a muddler (or just the handle of a wooden spoon, in my case).  And I was transported back to those first awkward months away at school that are somehow now ten years ago. 

This drink is crisp and refreshing - a perfect way to utilize the mint that is starting to proliferate with the season.

Applemint Mojito
10 leaves applemint
1/2 lime, cut into four wedges
2 T sugar
1 1/2 oz light rum
1/2 C club soda
ice

Put the mint leaves and one lime wedge in the bottom of a sturdy pint-size glass.  Mash them up thoroughly together with a muddler or the end of a wooden spoon.

Add two more lime wedges and the sugar and muddle together again.


Fill the glass almost all the way with ice.  Pour the rum over the ice and top off with club soda.  Stir it up and enjoy!


1 comment:

Emily said...

Wondering what to do with the fourth lime wedge?? I forgot to tell you - use it as garnish!