Monday, October 17, 2011

creature comforts

My husband and I have both been feeling pretty unwell this week.  Stomach cramps, indigestion, and I'll leave the rest to your imagination.  I'm not sure if it was a flu bug, inflammation, or what, but it was very uncomfortable.  We both go to very simple places, food-wise, when we're not feeling so good.  Plain pasta, toast with butter, apples, bananas.  Uncomplicated stuff.  I had a pint of cherry tomatoes left from our last CSA delivery two weeks ago, and they were looking sad.  I remembered an old Ina Garten trick:  roast tomatoes that are off-season or past their prime.  It will concentrate the flavors and bring out the succulence.  Worked like a charm.  I had my pasta with the tomatoes, Jeff had his plain with butter.  We both felt a bit more soothed.

Pasta with Roasted Tomatoes
1/4 pound thin spaghetti
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
3 unpeeled garlic cloves
1 t dried thyme
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
butter

Preheat oven to 350.  Dump the tomatoes and garlic into an 8x8 glass baking dish, sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper, and drizzle the oil over.  Toss with your hands to coat and bake for an hour, or until they are all burst open and starting to get a bit browned.

When the tomatoes only have ten minutes or so to go, boil the pasta and drain.  Drop in some butter and toss to coat.  Pinch the garlic cloves between your fingers to let the roasted garlic out over the tomatoes.  Divide pasta between two bowls and put some tomatoes and their juices on top of each serving. 

Serves two.

No comments: