Monday, October 10, 2011

couscous and dressing

I unashamedly love couscous.  Everything about it:  the blink-and-you-miss-it cooking time, the chewy texture, the nutty flavor.  It's probably my favorite starch to prepare with a standard protein-veggie-starch dinner.  I have made some refinements over the years:  I always cook it in chicken broth, I do it all in one pot, and I've recently starting adding a dressing.

My husband is more of a rice lover.  He will eat couscous, but he complains that it's too dry sometimes.  So, I came up with the idea of a sauce to put over it.  He loves it, I love it, and we're all happy.  Try it yourself!

1 C dry couscous
1 C chicken broth
2 T olive oil
2 T white wine vinegar
1/2 t dijon mustard
1 T cherry jam (or whatever flavor you fancy)
salt and pepper

Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a small pot with a lid.  Once it boils, stir in the couscous, cover, and remove from heat.  In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, seasoning to taste.  After five or six minutes, unlid the couscous and fluff if up with a fork.  Pour the dressing over the couscous and serve.  Makes four servings. 

No comments: