Monday, November 3, 2014

menu plan november i

Here we are in November.  My kids made it safely through the sugar zone, one as a witch and one as a lobster.  They had a great time.  Never am I so glad to live in a walk-able, friendly neighborhood as on occasions like Halloween.



Our Fall CSA will end next Saturday, and I admit that I'm slightly glad.  Keeping up with all the veggies always gets a little onerous by the end of the season.  Here's what we are eating this week.

Some notes:  we literally always have one of two things for breakfast if we are at home.

1)  -- scrambled eggs from our Mennonite hens
     -- homemade sourdough toast/English muffins/biscuits
     -- raw butter we have been making from our Mennonite cow cream
     -- local raw honey or homemade preserves
     -- seasonal fruit from our CSA or something I canned like peaches, pears, or applesauce

2) -- pancakes
    -- raw butter
    -- real maple syrup
    -- seasonal fruit

Vicki usually requests #2.  If we have time, I'm happy to oblige.

Since it is so monotonous, I'm not going to put breakfast on the menu plan.

Lunches are pretty much always leftovers.  If I do some actual cooking for lunch, I will put it in the plan.  If not, just assume it's something unexciting.

For drinks, we always have raw milk on hand.  We also drink Berkey filtered water, kombucha, or homemade soda from our ginger bug.  Lately I've been drinking the buttermilk left after butter-making - yum!

Finally, I try to make one dessert-ish item that we nibble on all week for snacks and desserts.  This week I made some brownies - a standard recipe from my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook but I subbed in coconut oil for the shortening and sucanat for the sugar.  They are great!

Sunday
-- lunch:  leftovers from a party last night at Memaw's.  Bratwurst, burgers, potato salad, baked beans, fruit, etc.
-- supper:  Family Dinner!  Main dish will be a stirfry and noodles, so we are bringing a Napa cabbage salad as something crisp and refreshing on the side.

Monday
-- supper:  acorn squash stuffed with couscous, chickpeas, and raisins

Tuesday
-- supper:  chili with ground beef, home-canned tomatoes and soaked beans + cornbread

Wednesday
-- supper:  panko-breaded cod fillets, roasted potatoes + cauliflower

Thursday
-- supper:  Napa cabbage wraps filled with ground pork, Asian-style green beans, steamed rice

Friday
-- supper:  Asian pizza on sourdough crust topped with wilted tat soi, leftover green beans



Saturday
-- lunch:  egg salad on sourdough, crudite with herbed yogurt dip
-- supper:  roast chicken, collard greens, mashed potato + turnip, fried green tomatoes

[This post submitted to Meal Plan Monday on 11/3/14.]




No comments: