Monday, October 20, 2014

menu plan october iii

Fall!  It's really here!  Chilly mornings and warm afternoons!  Jackets layered over short sleeves!  It's great.  I really hate hot weather so it's wonderful to feel a nice cool breeze.  Here's what we're eating this week.

Some notes:  we literally always have one of two things for breakfast if we are at home.

1)  -- scrambled eggs from our Mennonite hens
     -- homemade sourdough toast/English muffins/biscuits
     -- raw butter we have been making from our Mennonite cow cream
     -- local raw honey or homemade preserves
     -- seasonal fruit from our CSA or something I canned like peaches, pears, or applesauce

2) -- pancakes
    -- raw butter
    -- real maple syrup
    -- seasonal fruit

Vicki usually requests #2.  If we have time, I'm happy to oblige.

Since it is so monotonous, I'm not going to put breakfast on the menu plan.

Lunches are pretty much always leftovers.  If I do some actual cooking for lunch, I will put it in the plan.  If not, just assume it's something unexciting.

For drinks, we always have raw milk on hand.  We also drink Berkey filtered water, kombucha, or homemade soda from our ginger bug.  Lately I've been drinking the buttermilk left after butter-making - yum!

Finally, I try to make one dessert-ish item for the week and we kind of nibble on that for snacks and dessert all week.  This week it is pumpkin pie with a soaked crust and sorghum.  I'm testing my recipe to bring to my sister's for Thanksgiving!


Sunday
-- lunch:  we always have lunch after church at Memaw's house (that's my grandmother-in-law). It was a Parmesan-crusted chicken with pasta, green beans, and crescent rolls.
-- supper:  Family Dinner!  It's our week for appetizer.  I'm bringing wheat crackers with cream cheese and some pepper relish I canned last week.  It's really yummy to pour the pepper relish over the softened cream cheese and then put it on a cracker.

Monday
-- supper:  lentil soup with grilled cheese sandwiches on sourdough

Tuesday
-- supper:  Korean beef from the Elliott Homestead with bok choy mixed in, over steamed rice

Wednesday
-- supper:  grilled salmon with green beans, roasted potatoes, and kale salad

Thursday
-- supper:  pulled pork on sourdough buns with warm potato salad, braised collard greens, and sliced tomatoes

Friday
-- supper:  BBQ chicken pizza on sourdough crust

Saturday
-- lunch:  butternut squash soup, sourdough toast, cheese
-- supper:  roast chicken, kale salad, green beans, mashed potatoes

[This post submitted to Menu Plan Monday and the Homestead Barn Hop 10/20/14.]

No comments: