Saturday, May 5, 2012

cinco de mayo!

I've only been to Austin, TX once, and I loved it.  It was when I officiated at my best friend's Amanda's brother's wedding. 

 
We went to the flagship Whole Foods while we were there and it had lots of more-authentic Mexican food (being closer to the border).  They had aguas frescas of all kinds:  watermelon, raspberry, pineapple, mango, orange, lemon.  It's basically fruit puree mixed with lemon or lime and water.  Ever so slightly viscous, it's like a melted smoothie over ice.  

We had a crazy party for Cinco de Mayo tonight.  The baby and I went to Target and Chipotle.  It was over by 7:00.  We got our CSA basket earlier this afternoon, and more of those glorious strawberries from last week!  It's been hot as the dickens, so a nice cool drink incorporating the berries sounded perfect.  I remembered Austin, and the Whole Foods, and the aguas frescas, and smiled.  I had picked up a lime at the Farmer's Market earlier!  Perfect.

I adapted this from a Nourished Kitchen recipe I got as part of the meal plan I subscribe to.

Strawberry Lime Agua Fresca
1 lb strawberries, hulled and halved
3 T honey
3 C water
2 limes, plus lime wedges for garnish

Puree strawberries and honey in a blender.  Pass through a fine mesh sieve to remove strawberry seeds.  Whisk strawberry puree with water and the juice of two limes.  (I measured the water into the blender and whizzed it to remove the last bits of puree in there.)  Serve over ice and garnish with a lime wedge.  Serves 4.  I also know suspect it might be good with a shot of rum.



No comments: