Sunday, November 6, 2011

bacon fat!

Might I just take this opportunity to say that I'm a huge fan of bacon?  And bacon fat?  I know that makes me sound like a total hedonist, but it's really not so bad!  On the package of bacon I used tonight, two slices is a serving size, and that has seventy calories.  I used just one slice, so for only thirty-five calories, I had a mouth-watering starting place for a pasta dish that was otherwise very lean and nutritious.



This was also a pantry- and fridge-cleaner outer.  As I recently mentioned, we are newly recommitted to home cooking and avoiding eating out except when it's really going to be necessary and/or delicious.  I have also not had time to go to the store in about ten days.  To say things have been hectic would be the understatement of my lifetime.  Although we went out for dinner for a friend's birthday last night, tonight I was sorely tempted to tell Jeff to bring home some wings and fries (when your husband works at the emporium of chicken wings, eating not-so-responsibly becomes dead easy).  But I resisted!  And it was worth it.  Try this one on for size:


Pasta with Shrimp, Bacon and Tomatoes
1/4 lb of your favorite whole-wheat pasta (I used leftover lasagna noodles broken in half, but that wouldn't have been my first choice!  Something shorter and more tubular would be good for this sauce.)
1 oz bacon (typically one slice), sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces
1/4 lb thawed and peeled frozen shrimp
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (or scant 1 C fresh peeled and diced tomatoes)
salt and pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Cook the pasta and drain.  Meanwhile, saute the bacon pieces in a small skillet over medium.  When they are crisp, remove them to a plate lined with paper towel, leaving the fat behind.  Add the garlic and cook for thirty seconds, stirring constantly to avoid burning.  Add the tomatoes and allow them to reduce.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add shrimp to the tomatoes and garlic.  Cook shrimp just until pink throughout and slightly curled up.  Taste the sauce and add salt or pepper as needed.  Add the bacon pieces back into the dish and serve!  Makes one serving.

No comments: